Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Little Peter Cottontail


He's cute, right? And fluffy? And just as happy as can be? Exactly. He's oh so happy as he hippity-hops away from my strawberry plants. The little dear scarfed down ALL of my strawberries--even the yellow ones, depriving them of the joy of ripeness...and depriving me of the sweet juicy taste of home-grown strawberries.

Is anyone else planning an Operation Peter Cottontail? Hubby wants to set a trap and then release it somewhere far, far away from the garden. I'm a little more aggressive. Hubby said, "If you were a bunny rabbit and you found a beautiful strawberry patch, wouldn't you eat them?" I responded by stating, "Yes, but I would also realize the chance of death I faced each time I entered the garden walls."

So, how do you handle your bunny problems?

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Interesting you should post this- I recently told Tom, "I have no more love for the bunnies!" after one of the sweet, precious dears ate my freshly transplanted carnival bell pepper! =S This is not the first instance either...I used to get upset when the neighborhood kitties would stalk the precious little cotton tails until they ate my red beets one year and then my golden beets the following year. Since they are not in season, Tom too mentioned trapping them and releasing in a park or somewhere far far away. At the moment I would rather be having wascally wabbit stew! =)

    One tip I am currently trying in the meantime is too sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. Also, Jo mentioned heating water to almost a boil and then adding cayenne pepper. Let cool and then add to a spray bottle. Spray onto everything at risk! Reapply as necessary. Just wash your yields really well before eating! =) I need to get a spray bottle before I can do this one.

    ReplyDelete