Friday, May 14, 2010

Little House


I must admit, all these years I had never read Little House on the Prairie, nor had I really watched an episode. However, I saw the book on the list of "To Read" according to The Well Trained Mind, so I thought I'd jump on it early. I now know why I never read it.

Some may think I'm crazy, as an English major and book lover, to speak poorly of Laura and Mary and the entire family, but honestly, I do not find learning to build walls, doors (some with nails, some without), a fireplace, a roof, or a floor at all (or in the least bit) interesting. Shame on me. I went my entire life passing over the books that were in a dusty brown box in the storage room of my parents house, and now I know why.

I have tried to make the book interesting. I have tried using different voices and making boring sentences exciting, but let's face it: it's just not happening. And the worst part: My daughter shows no interest in the story, either. She will sit through a reading, but she jumps at the chance to do something else, and I'm right there with her. We will finish the book (all 300 and some odd pages), but we will not be checking out more. Shame on me.

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. There's no shame! Just because some "expert" says you should read it doesn't mean it will actually be enjoyable! lol It's kind of like fashion- every year something new becomes trendy, but I have a saying for it...."just because it's in fashion doesn't mean it actually looks good"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just it--these are supposed to be books that are a little out of fashion! But I LOVE classics, however, this one....is ughhhh. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was my favorite when I was little. It is absolutely the best memory I have with my mom. She would read me one chapter every night before I went to bed. I hung onto every word. I can't wait till I go to start reading it to my kids(I should have already)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turns out hubby really likes it! lol I started reading it to the girls this morning, and when I stopped, he asked, "Are you stopping? Read a little bit more." Of course, it was much more interesting learning how to dig a well, but the girls still didn't show much interest :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you have to read On the Banks of Plum Creek- not necessarily aloud, but it is the best of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete