Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It's Disgusting and We Ate It!


Fun fact of the day: One ton of roasted spiders contains 1268 lbs of protein. One ton of cooked beef contains 394 lbs of protein. Just when you thought you were being as healthy as possible, you went and left roasted spiders off the dinner menu, didn't you?

That was just one of the many fun, interesting, and disgusting things we learned today during school.

Since my upcoming year is looking a little hectic, I've gradually been working in school for Lovely the past couple of days. (All right--I may, just MAY have an addiction to school/learning, which prompted such an early start of 1st grade...maybe!) I have to say--I LOVE this new method I'm trying! I'm only on the 4th grammar lesson and I only just started Writing with Ease, but I'm really digging it so far, as the archeologists would say (I also started The Story of the World tonight).

The grammar and writing lessons are short, simple, and to the point right now. The examples in the books actually made Lovely laugh, which is always a plus. She got a little freaked out when I gave her the copywork--she thought she had to copy both sentences several times, so when I told her just one sentence, one time, great relief came over her face.

We actually spent most of the day checking out the NA library--LOVE IT! I got a card there, so now I have a card for all available libraries in this area. I also signed both girls up for their summer reading program, so they can complete three library summer reading programs--woohoo!

My main objective was to find the books for the first three weeks of school. I LOVE using living books! They are so much more interesting because they are devoted to one topic that the author is usually very interested in. We started reading It's Disgusting and We Ate It tonight, which the girls begged me to keep reading, but I was starting to lose my voice. I'll have to post more disgusting facts another day...

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. sounds like our kind of book!

    We are VERY adventurous eaters, its kind of a family thing we do together. Sunday we had Alligator for the first time! Will probably not eat it again, but it was fun trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you definitely need to visit China--I think they have what we would call some of the oddest foods--normal for them, though! I just don't get eating/drinking chicken or pig blood, though...ick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had alligator before and really like it...it was fried though. I'll have to add the roasted spiders to the menu- are they low in calories? lol

    And I can't resist...I didn't know protein was really spelled "proteinG" ;)
    Just a typing booboo I'm sure, he, he.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm anxiously awaiting more disgusting facts! I thrive on this stuff! lol =D

    ReplyDelete