Monday, March 1, 2010

Stubborn Children

Apparently, I was a very stubborn child. That is the only explanation for my oldest daughter to be so set in her ways at the age of 5!! The other night at dinner, she wanted something, so I told her to ask nicely: may I please have _____? Instead, she sulked in her chair and refused. Who knew teaching manners could be such a chore? Surely not I! This wasn't the first time, either. All I know is I have to break her of it, so I allowed her to keep sulking until she finally asked nicely. However, many times it takes her so long to do as she's told, that whatever she is asking for is gone. Oh, well--guess she'll learn the hard way! On the upside, my youngest has already mastered the "pretty please??" and bats her eyelashes while tilting her head to boot! Boy, I'm already starting to pray for the teenage years!

2 comments:

  1. Parenting is so hard..parenting the "right" way that is. Not that none of is more right than the other. But we could just let our kids go. Do and say what they please. When we try and teach them everything they need to know to grow up and be fine adults like ourselves*grin* it is so hard. If only all children were the same..lol My Christian and Susanna are as different as night and day. I don't know what to call Susanna. I don't think she is stubborn...it seems to be a listening problem. A friend of mine suggested I get her hearing tested.(Inside I'm thinking "isn't that a cop out for bad behavior?) I'm thinking it is a thought processing skill. Maybe she processes her instructions very slow? All I know is I wish I could fast forward 3 years!

    Sorry for the long comment. But your post caught my attention:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment--I love to see those! Maybe Susanna's hearing does need tested, but you could be right as well--maybe it's just a slow process for her. I used to think parents who read "how to" manuals on children were wasting their time, but I'm starting to become a believer!

    ReplyDelete