Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Typical Reading Session with Lovely


"OK, it's time to do reading for today," I inform my daughter cheerfully, hoping to inspire the reading genius within her.


"Awwww. How 'bout we do it tomorrow?" This is her bargaining tool, and she pulls it out of the toolbox all too often.


"No, we need to work on reading everyday. That way, you'll be able to read all kinds of books!" This is my bargaining tool, which I pull out all too often.


"I don't want to read all kinds of books..." Lovely crosses her arms in demonstration of her determination.


I open I Do Read Book 3 to page six and place it in front of her crossed arms.


"OK, let's start reading."


She giggles. "Look at the funny cat! It's silly!"


"Yes, I know it is. Let's find out what it's doing, " I say as an attempt to encourage her.


"P-u-ff. Puff. Puff's a name? That's the cat's name? That's silly!" Lovely continues to giggle.


"Yes, Puff is its name. Let's find out what Puff is doing." I point at the first full sentence.


"It's smiling, Mommy. It looks happy. I see cats outside in the backyard."


"Yes, it is smiling. Let's find out why." Another attempt to redirect her attention.


"J-o-n Jon g-o-t got a b-i-g big...Who's Jon, Mommy?"


"I don't know...let's keep reading and see if it says."


"Jon got a big c-a-t cat. Is that cat named Puff? Why did he name him that? I like cats, but you're allergic."


"Yes, I'm allergic. I don't know why he named him Puff...maybe it says in the story. Read some more."


"J-o-n will n-a-m-e name h-i-s his....Where's Jon? I don't see him."


"You see his hand petting Puff. Let's read more."


"Where's his other hand? Where's his arm?"


"I don't know, Lovely. Let's keep reading." I try to keep my voice sweet and calm, but reading time is taking its toll on my patience.


"The c-a-t can l-a-p...lap...what's lap?"


"That's how the cat drinks its milk. It laps it up with its tongue."


"Oh. I don't see its tongue. You mean like...sluuurrrrp.....slurrrppp." Lovely's head is bobbing up and down with her tongue out as she pretends to drink.


"Yes, that's what I mean. Let's keep reading."


"L-a-p lap, l-a-p lap, l-a-p lap. J-o-n Jon can p-e-t Pete?"


"No, p-e-t, pet."


"Oh. That's silly. I petted a dog before. I like petting dogs."


"I know, honey. Keep reading."


"Jon can p-e-t pet P-u-ff."


I slam the book shut and say 'thank you' for being able to finish reading for the day.


Although I feel the strain of reading each day, once the conversation has been written out and I am able to reflect on the questions asked, I'm amazed at my daughter's curiosity. If she keeps asking questions, keeps wondering, isn't that just as important as the lesson I'm trying to teach at the time? If I can feed this need to learn and direct her on her course, I will be doing my job as a mother and a teacher. However, I will continue to question myself as an example and as a teacher, just as any other human being would do. And I will continue to wonder how I will remain sane for the next twelve years of school.

1 comment: