Sunday, March 21, 2010

Where the Wild Things Were


How many of you remember reading "Where the Wild Things Are" as children? I certainly do--it was one of my favorite short stories. So, of course, when the movie advertisements came out, they certainly seemed appealing. My daughters kept telling me they wanted to see it, so as a treat, my husband rented the movie for us. Either I had extremely high expectations, or my sense of what makes a good movie is off, despite what many critics hailed as a good movie!


The movie begins with Max as a lonely child who gets paid no attention by his sister, little by his mother, and his dad appears out of the picture--with no real explanation. He throws an awful fit, climbing up onto the kitchen counter top in front of his mother's boyfriend, and tells his mother, "I'll eat you up!" However, I missed where his mother called him a "wild thing" as the book states. He thrashes around the kitchen as his mother chases him down, and he goes as far as biting her, and then runs out the door, down the street, through the woods, and to the boat that sails to the island of Wild Things. Upon arrival, he tells them he is a king and can do magic, but the movie doesn't show him staring into their yellow eyes to prove his magical talents. He tries to live with the Wild Things, but they have family problems (just like his, I'm assuming was the theme of the movie), and he eventually sails back to his mother, who is waiting with a huge hug, a warm dinner, and chocolate cake--wait--he was given chocolate cake for biting his mother and running away? Is something a little off here?


I immediately went back to my children's book and read through the story as Max is obviously bad (although not biting his mother), sent to his room (he couldn't out-run this mother) without supper and a jungle grows in his room. He goes to where the Wild Things are, although none seem to have the emotional dysfunctional family problems the movie portrays, convinces them he has powers, but soon sails back to his bedroom once he smells good things to eat. He wakes up and finds his supper in his room, but it doesn't seem like a blatant reward for bad behavior as it does in the movie. Maybe it's just me. My husband and I had to keep telling our girls the boy was bad to disobey his mother, to yell, to bite, to run away at night, walk through a forest, get in a boat by himself, and climb dangerous rocks. Oh, and of course the movie had to contain at least one bad word. Why? Yet another reason to unplug the TV...

4 comments:

  1. I too saw the movie, I have this fascination with seeing books I read as a child "come to life". I didn't like it either. I don't think I caught the bad word...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this book from my childhood and quickly bought the book when found it at a yard sale. I must say though, I was turned off my the movie trailer when I saw it. Now I'm really glad I didn't go see it or bother renting it. I notice in your description that they are tailoring the movie to relate to issuess of the day....single mother, live-in boyfriend, no discipline and of course at least one bad word! Grrrr- where do they get off thinking it's ok to swear in a remake of a child's book!!!!

    Get this! We rent the movie "Amazing Grace" from the library the other day. It's based on William Wilberforce and his struggle to end the slave trade in England. I enjoyed the movie, but was very irritated at the use of a bad word twice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man where have I been? I didn't even know such a movie had been made. I'm torn! I loved this book so I would love to see the movie. But no one has anything good to say about it. I'm like Sha..I love seeing stories come to life. They rarely do a good job though..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book and I love watching certain stories be made into movies, but I was expecting so much more from this! It was really slow-moving as well, and there was no resolution to all of the Wild Things' problems--I like resolution in movies, even if it doesn't always happen in real life!

    ReplyDelete