Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Summer Plans

I know I just posted, but I thought this deserved its own separate entry.

What are you summer plans? I've discovered I'm not so against year-round school, now that I'm in charge, because I know everyday is a day for learning. I don't want to be restricted by schedules, state requirements, or what I'm "supposed" to teach my children. I plan on experimenting with learning, and then incorporating my findings into the next school year.

Summer Plans:
  • Nature hikes with nature journals. I found some great nature websites that should help explain what we find outdoors. I'll have to post the links later, when I re-find them ;-) I'll bring two notebooks for my daughters to draw what they see and then we can discuss it.
  • Nature hikes with photography. Call me brave or call me stupid, but I'm going to let my girls photograph what they want--at least once.
  • Art projects. All those things we didn't have time for during the school year, or those that I didn't want the mess from, can be completed in the sun.
  • Garbage removal. We'll start with our yard and around our house, and we'll go from there. I want to teach my girls that they really do need to take care of where they live.
  • Sewing. I need to learn to sew better, so I'll have my little helpers learn as well. We'll see how it goes, but I'd like to create some cute aprons for them and then some cute skirts/summer dresses.
  • Music. I'm looking for some simple 1st year music to introduce Lovely to the keyboard.
Finally, I will also be creating my writing program. I have started on the blog, but I need to finish creating my template and blog design, and I need to post K-12 standards for easy access. Next, I need to create some sample writing strategies/projects tailored to ability level (*note, I'm not shooting for grade level instruction, but ability level instead).

Anything else I should add to my agenda?

6 comments:

  1. Haha sounds packed to me. Its funny..last year being my first year homeschooling..I hated it! I didn't want to do and was not set up right at all. This year I don't really claim to be set up well, but I don't hate it anymore. We are so structured it helps. It also helps that Susanna is FINALLY grasping things. I am so stocked about the convention and finding a curriculum that will really start to build the educational foundation. I have no idea what this summer holds for us. But I do know I am going to incorporate the garden and chickens into school somehow..why not?! I to love the fact we do not have to be hindered by "dates" and agendas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVVVEEE your ideas! I think that if the kids aren't using those brains year around they get cold, and its hard to warm them back up come fall. It's a great way to get out during summer and still learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks for your responses! Jo, I had completely forgotten about the garden! We already have several herbs growing again and the strawberries have started, so I must incorporate this into our list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! You could totally run a bit of science off of the garden. The whole photosynthesis thingy..hahaha I was telling Sha the other day too how I remember clouds from school. Not all of them but I remember liking it and now when I look up I'm like "oh! I remember learning about that in school" You could like print it out and this summer take a picnic, go to the park and just lay on the ground and examine clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...looks like I'll have to invest in allergy medicine with all the outdoorsy stuff I'll be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas! I plan to continue the learning process through the summer as well. No specific plans yet, but I will be using the garden as a tool!

    ReplyDelete