Monday, March 29, 2010

De-Stressing by Working?

Last November, I was still teaching composition at a local college. Thankfully, I took some time off (that has continued to expand so much so that I may never return) and had the opportunity to really concentrate on homeschool with Lovely. We have zoomed through the school year, it seems, and we now only have five days left of A Beka lessons!

The past week or so, I've been working a temporary job (a 2-wk commitment to finance our trip to the Midwest Homeschool Convention) and doing an abbreviated version of school in the morning before I leave. My, how my stress levels have calmed down! I'm actually more patient with my daughter when we have a time crunch! Granted, we don't cover nearly as much as I would like, but I actually think of school as relaxing while I watch her master skills she had previously thrown temper tantrums over, thus transforming me into Mean Mommy (yes, she has called me this). So, what have I learned?
  1. She's in kindergarten. Exactly what it says. Have expectations, but don't get upset if she doesn't meet them all the time.
  2. When encouraged through love and patience, she works better. Duh.
  3. She doesn't need to know everything (otherwise, wouldn't I just be arming her for the future outlook most teenagers have naturally?)
  4. It's OK to give a little extra help. Don't give her all the answers, but go over a few questions with her, then see if she can do it herself. Long strides have already been made in math, although I still hate A Beka math with an undying passion--the kind I will tell younger generations about, to which they will respond, "Crazy, Grandma. So much has changed since you taught school."
  5. I like teaching...even my daughter. I was fearful I could enjoy only teaching other people's kids. Humph! What would give me that crazy idea? Oh, yeah...being called Mean Mommy.
So why did leaving my child make me a better teacher? Probably guilt. And now I feel guilty about guilt making me a better teacher. Crazy circle of guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment