Wednesday, March 24, 2010

How Many Days Left?

As I dropped off my two darlings at my mom's this morning, I almost felt excitement akin to the feeling I used to get as a teenager when I finished another class. I have been working a temp job this week, but since I don't go in until 10 a.m., I do schoolwork with Lovely first; well, I do some schoolwork. Anyhoo, before I left, I went over with my mother what was left for Lovely to complete. Her response:

"I thought you didn't do school everyday?"

Becoming a little defensive, I declared, "Yes, we do," and gave her a strange look to make her feel like her thought process must be off somehow. Cruel, I know, but don't homeschool moms become a little defensive when our methods are questioned?

"We are on lessons 156 and 157 today. That means there are only 8 lessons left," I stated triumphantly.

"Then the school year will be done?" My mother's mouth seemed to drop.

"Well, we'll be done with A Beka. Then, we'll work on art and reading and my other projects."

Did you grasp the gravity of that statement? Let the fun begin! We are almost done with all those worksheets that I have learned to despise, despite their colorful, cheery, all-too-happy animated characters. I remember loving worksheets as a child, but come on! Worksheets in each subject, sometimes multiple worksheets, is a bit--no, way--overboard in my opinion! I felt like I had to complete all of these worksheets (although I did finally begin crossing off sections and writing the word "SKIP" next to other sections--if Lovely could read the word, then she was allowed to skip that part) and by then I was drained for having any fun. In two weeks will be the Midwest Homeschool Convention and I'm hoping to find some great ideas for next year's curriculum. I'm planning on switching to BJ for math, but I'm not sure about anything else yet.

Highlight of the day: Realizing there are only EIGHT A Beka lessons left!

4 comments:

  1. nice! We probably wont be done until July (long story about her lame x-school) but I'm loving every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if you are loving it, that's what matters! Hope all goes well! This way, you get to do lessons outside, too =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! I too have been lightning the load. If they want the kids to do write three sentences then I just have him do one and I pick that one to death! lol I too have heard great things about BJ and am very interested in looking into it. I know JL is very pleased with the results from the girls after switching. I'm still out for other options though. I can't wait for the convention...I'll have my walking shoes on for sure!

    What made you choose BJ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked over the math book at JC's house one day, and I was impressed with how colorful the pages were while the information was much more explanatory. For instance, it didn't just have a problem of 4+7= ? It actually had pictures with every problem, which is what I'm looking for right now. I'm still open to other options, especially if it's too expensive, so we'll see once I hit the convention :)

    ReplyDelete