Tuesday, April 13, 2010

To IEW or Not to IEW

As we all know, I'm in the process of setting up my own website in order to teach/tutor writing students. After attending the Midwest Homeschool Convention and hearing Andrew Pudewa speak, I've become interested in the Institute for Excellence in Writing. I've since examined the website and discovered you can become registered and certified instructors of IEW methods, thus gaining the ability to have your name listed on their website in order to help others find instructors for their children. So, now the dilemma arises: is this a step I should take? The cost is minimal if you plan on using IEW methods for teaching your own family already ($169 for the teacher training manual that would be used for all years of homeschooling writing), plus $50 application fee to become registered/certified. The reviews on the program have all been wonderful (trust me--I've researched A LOT), except for one who didn't like the structure of the program. However, this would add another tool to my teaching belt, if you know what I mean.

I have this natural thirst to find out at much as possible about writing and teaching it, and to help others, so I will continue praying about it. The same speaker will be at the Louisville Homeschool Convention in June, so I plan on attending that as well. Have any of you heard Mr. Pudewa or examined the IEW materials? They go along with my classical education approach, as well...

5 comments:

  1. I have not heard of him or the material...of course writing and such was never my strong point! This might be a good way to get your name out there right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm thinking. Wanna go to the CHEK convention with me in June? Andrew Pudewa is a very entertaining speaker! I just emailed one of their certified methods instructor, and she was very friendly in her reply. I'll definitely be praying about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would like to go...I'm totally hooked on the convention thing...wish I was going to another one next weekend...well, maybe the weekend after next! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, we may just be neighbors!! LOVED the Cincinnati convention :) I haven't gone to the CHEK convention yet, we're typically out of town about that time, but it's only a few minutes from our home.

    Andrew Pudewa is one of my favorite speakers :) My husband and I have been fans of his for a few years. I've always heard that IEW is a fantastic program. In fact, I've never talked to anyone who had anything negative to say about it.....except for the upfront cost (which isn't bad when you figure how long you can use it for, plus it can be used with other students too).

    Kathy D.
    www.homeschoolblogger.com/myquiversfull

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Kathy! We probably are neighbors! In fact, we probably saw each other at the convention and didn't even know it (despite the swirling crowd of 10,000 other people). I live in Indiana, but I decided to go to the Cincinnati convention instead of Indy, and I'm only about 20-30 mins from Louisville, so I'm going to check it out for the first time :)

    Thanks for your thoughts on IEW! I've been working on becoming a go-to person for writing/tutoring in our area, so I'm really praying about it and I appreciate any advice other homeschool parents can give! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete