Thursday, April 15, 2010

Organization is Key, Or So They Say

Since I started buying materials for the upcoming school year, I have become extremely excited about the year to come! I originally tried doing Pre-K lessons for Lovely from Hubbard's cupboard, which entailed an enormous amount of printing, sorting, and organizing. Foo-ey to that! So, once she started Kindergarten, I decided to go with the boxed curriculum, A Beka. Double fooo-ey to that! Now, we're going to try the classical method, but I find myself once more sorting and organizing...this has been something I have done all mylife...overthink.

I have created a yearly plan:
  • 36 Weeks
  • Mon-Thurs. school days
  • Fridays are Free Fridays, to use in case of field trips, sick days, or burn-out days
I have created a daily plan:
  • Begin at 9 a.m. (yes, we like to sleep in)
  • Lunch at 12
  • End at 2:40 (technically, this gives the girls 30 mins of silent reading two days/week, once they learn to read silently, that is)
Next, I created a printable reading list. The list covers all books necessary for reading, writing, and history. I'll probably throw some stuff in there for science as well, but I'll need to get a library card for my youngest daughter, as we will be over our check-out limit! The curriculum I bought comes with reading lists, but I thought it would be a lot easier to print out a list to take with me to the library, divided by 3 wk periods (since that's the time allotment for checking out books). I will also use it to look up books online quickly.

Finally, I began a weekly schedule, but I'm at odds whether I really need it or not. I placed spelling words on it, so therefore I need it, but I might leave part of it fill-in-the-blank.

I've learned that I love some structure, but I do better when it's not completely structured. Therefore, if we don't complete the reading lists, so what? (They are seriously extensive, so in reality, I can't complete them all.) If we get off track a little, we have Fridays to make other days up. If we don't learn everything there is to learn, then I'm human (phew! It's so nice to no longer strive for the title of Super Mom, an unattainable dream we all secretly harbor!)

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! We don't have to be Super Mom! WooHoo! So nice to feel relieved!

    I think your schedule looks great! Don't worry about starting at 9am...the schedule that works best for you is what you should do!

    I'm still writing out my plan and going through ideas in my head, but I've implemented a few ideas already. When doing some schooling, instead of making him write everything (this is torture for him) I let him tell me what he would say and I write it for him. This was suggested my several at the convention and it helps! He was giving me kisses and saying "Thank you Mommy!" That was worth it all! If we stay on track we should hit our 180 days near the end of May. Not too bad considering how many days we too off this year. =D After reading everyone's homeschool blogs I'm getting inspired start one too. Not that I write that great, but it would be nice to write down my own thought and ideas...a place to call my own. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may just become addicted to these! Although, I have wondered if I should have just combined my blogs into one! I find myself trying not to favor one over the other...haha

    ReplyDelete