Monday, April 12, 2010

Plans for the Next School Year


Even though I got back from the Midwest Homeschool Convention Saturday night, I'm still feeling the excitement! This was my first homeschool convention, and although I was at first a nay-sayer regarding conventions, I have quickly changed my ways! I have so many more inspiring ideas now for teaching and learning, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to most of the speakers (and those whom we found boring, we simply left the room and found a speaker we did enjoy), and I wish I could have spent even more time walking around the exhibit hall! Here's what we covered:

Seminars/Workshops:
  • Jessie Wise & Dr. Susan Wise Bauer: An Intro. to Classical Education at Home--we were late arriving for this, but we got there as Dr. Wise Bauer was discussing the Grammar Stage, which is the stage Lovely is in right now. What was discussed during this session really made sense, and I love the concept of learning history in order instead of a little history from this time and a little history from that time, etc.
  • Andrew Pudewa: Nurturing Excellent Writers & Speakers--Mr. Pudewa is a very interesting speaker who is comical with some great advice. I wish I could have heard him again.
  • Dr. Jobe Martin: The Evolution of a Creationist--He really didn't have a speaker's voice, so it was difficult to hear him at first. I would have appreciated more information on the assumptions evolutionists make as scientific fact, instead of the entire life story of Mr. Martin. This would have illustrated his evolution even more in my opinion. He was an enjoyable speaker once he spoke up, however.
  • Carol Barnier: Empowering the Shy Child--We came in on the tail end of this speaker as well since we had been to the Tim Hawkins Performance. Mrs. Barnier said out loud what I had been thinking to myself several times. I need to concentrate on manners with Lovely, in order to boost her self-confidence in doing the right thing. I had known this before going to the seminar, but I kept finding other things that seemed more important--WRONG!
  • Mary Harrington: What is Christian Classical Education--this speaker seemed a little....scattered. I wasn't thrilled with the information from this session, which focuses simply on manners for younger children. I believe other educational goals need to be thrown into the mix.
  • Rebecca Kochenderfer: Homeschooling and Loving It! Mrs. Kochenderfer was probably the best speaker we heard! I enjoyed her voice, her pacing, her comedic anecdotes, and her advice. She is upfront and honest, and it was no wonder the room was overflowing with attendees.
  • Shelly Noonan: Five Keys to Guarding Your Daughter's Heart--I would have preferred a father giving this lecture instead of a mother, or a mother/father team. I would have also preferred more statistics, although I enjoyed some of the stories she told. This was more for my husband's relationship with his daughters.
Materials Purchased:
  • History of the Ancient World, text and activity book by Dr. Susan Wise Bauer
  • Writing with Ease by Dr. Susan Wise Bauer
  • Various classical books (Little House on the Prairie--I know--gasp--I never owned it nor have I read it--, Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane, etc.)
  • World Atlas
  • Owl Pellets for dissection (I plan on studying owls this week with the girls, as part of summer school)
  • Map software for my husband (he actually found a book for himself and the software)
  • Music lessons and violin (YIKES!) Here's the story: Violin.com was selling a package of music lessons and a violin kit (with case, pitch pipe, rosin, etc.) for a certain price. The lessons are do-it-yourself, which I was EXTREMELY wary of. However, the creator of the lessons has had 35 yrs of teaching experience, she's been on several university music faculties, her father-in-law helped with the books, who was part of the NY Philharmonic, and she demonstrated both her playing and her method. I was still nervous about making the purchase, but my husband and I finally did so, considering Lovely has been asking to learn violin for two years! We haven't given her the instrument or lessons yet (so shhh!), but I was snooping through the books last night. I am so impressed with the metaphors, teaching tricks, learning games, etc.! Now, I'm even more excited! And, my husband said he wants to get a full size violin and learn with her, as something they can do together! How awesome is that?!
To Be Purchased (used, of course):
  • BJU Math 1
  • The grammar lessons book by Jessie Wise (for 1st & 2nd grade)
  • Drawing with Children, or a comparable art book (for as long as I can use it!)
  • A Beka phonics readers (from my sis)
I'm estimating materials for 1st grade to cost around $150.00, but the history program and the grammar & writing program are used in two different grades, and then I'll be able to reuse all of it for my 4 yr. old, so I'm thinking it really won't be that expensive in the end. I will supplement with lots of library books, and I plan on doing unit studies for science that won't cost that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment