Thursday, June 10, 2010

School Updates for Classical Education



Disgusting fact for the day:  After unearthing in 1979 what scientists claim was a 36,000 year old steppe bison, they attempted to eat the meat.  Even after cooking it in a spicy stew, the scientists said it still tasted like mud. 
                 -- from It's Disgusting and We Ate It







We've finished lesson 14 in First Language Lessons, and I am absolutely LOVING the short lessons that get the point across!  I can already tell Lovely is getting much better at memorization!  I also overheard her Polly Pockets telling each other, "A noun is the name of a person, place, thing, or idea."  Smart dolls, eh?  I'm also trying to remember to go over the ABC's with Snugglebug everyday, and yesterday we watched the "Letter Factory", and we sang the songs together during the video. 

We just finished Week 2 in Writing with Ease, and I believe we are in Chapter 3 of SOTW.  For reading, she has finished her A Beka K readers, so I'm waiting on my sis's 1st grade readers now.  We've finished reading three long books (over 100 pgs each):  Little House on the Prairie, Little House in the Big Woods, and Pinocchio.  The last was her favorite, so I believe she's a bit like me:  I liked adventure and excitement in books when I was younger.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I still enjoy adventure and excitement! 

We've also been working on A Child's Book of Character Building, bk 1 and I'm trying the Charlotte Mason method of scripture memorization.  In addition, I'm throwing in art and music when I can (and when I don't have a pounding headache!) 

Now, let's see what we can finish by the time I begin school and begin working again part-time! 


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. WooHoo! You go girl! Are you going to be burnt out by the time you start school? I better not start having dreams about you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing so much now so that we will be taking more fall/winter/spring breaks...besides, I'm addicted to learning...

    ReplyDelete