Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reading List...I Fibbed...

I know I said I wouldn't read anymore Little House books, but I have to admit, Mr. Edwards falling into disaster in the Ingalls' well really caught my attention.  I was not pleased at the end of the book, but rarely am I.  So, during our next visit to the library, I got a special read aloud edition of Little House in the Big Woods.  I liked this one much better, as I never before imaged a sleighing pig...some of the chapters gave Hubby and I quite the chuckle! 

Next on the reading list was Pinocchio.  (Yes, I remember what certain people told me about this book...)  My daughter loves it.  I mean LOVES it!  She begs me to keep reading, never tiring of hearing the infamous tales of that naughty puppet.  I had no idea it was so different from Disney's version, but I guess that's what I get for ignoring it all these years!  I did choose the book with the most enticing pictures, so perhaps that has aided her enthusiasm. 

To boot, I am slowly redesigning the office into a kid-friendly space.  I took back the bookcase and placed a round basket infront of the base of the bookcase, filled with readers.  Lovely is ecstatic to have her very own books.  She LOVES them as well. 

So...yay!  My daughter is finally sensing the love of reading I have had my entire life!  Let's just hope it continues! 

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I just noticed what the Amazon price for this edition of Pinocchio is! YIKES! I better make sure to return it...or should I? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read...I can get lost in a book. I find myself missing the characters after a good book. LAME! Sometimes a few really good books that are way off reality warp my sense of reality...haha I have a book I bought at Homeschool CC...yeah I'm on chapter 2..ugh! I don't have the time to read. But as I was explaining to Buddy today Bro.Branham said you can make an idol out of anything if you do it more than what you do for the Lord. And I realized I used to make a idol out of reading because I read a good book way more than I read the Bible or listened to a tape. So even our mistakes in life are teaching point for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points! I used to lock myself in my room and read and re-read books when I was a teenager. I'm focusing on reading books that help with character/manner development, and trying to point everything back to the Bible.

    I haven't had time to read in so long...until I finished teaching at BMC and was only taking one class at U of L (it required enough of "their" reading that I didn't have time for my own choices), but since summer hit, I've finished two books and I've begun a third. I mostly read classics (pre 1900) to ensure they are cleaner than other!

    ReplyDelete