Wednesday, June 30, 2010

School Room Organization

A while back, I mentioned the disaster known as my office and how I was in pursuit of converting it to the office/school room. I've actually made quite a bit of progress, and I'm now just waiting on Hubby to build a cabinet to hold some more of my endless school supplies/materials/games.

I'm in the process of getting school chairs for the desks, but for now, the camping chair and the broken plastic chair will have to do! I found turning these desks to face each other a great alternative for making my children stare at the wall, and it appears to take up less space. In addition, they get the full benefit of the window and the greenery that's outside.

I recclaimed my bookcase (it was mine as a teenager, but Hubby had taken it over with hunting videos and the like), so now the top shelf is organized by subject (Bible/Manners/Character, Math, Language Arts, History, Science, Music, Art, etc.), the 2nd shelf is filled with hands-on materials, and the third shelf is reading material for the girls that's been organized into fiction and non-fiction, and then by reading level. Workbooks are kept in their desks, and their writing materials are on top. They each have a desk header with their names, the alphabet, a number line, and pictures with colors.

Do you have any tips/suggestions for school room organization?


Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Hummm I have a desk Jennifer. Its a metal school desk that Ange picked up for me. I think its to small for Buddy...You are welcome to it. Its a desk/chair combo. Let me know it your interested and I'll get a pic for you or you can stop by and look/pick it up.

    I can't stand my school/office room. I love decorating my house but have completely failed at that room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo, but I'm planning on keeping these desks and just getting chairs to slide/push in. I think that will take less space and then I can offer more variety with the set-up. This is a temporary thing until we either add on or move, but I've been wanting to do this for a few months now. I just started pitching things that I got sick of in order to make room. If it was up to me, there wouldn't be deer heads all over the walls =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! After vacation I'm going to dive into mine. I think I'm looking forward to it. lol

    Did you go to the play? How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are fortunate enough to have a schoolroom as well! I love it!! No more books in the kitchen and the living room and the bedroom and every other little nook and cranny.

    I re-purposed quite a few shelves when we moved into this house. My daughters had a shelf and my sons had another shelf, both used for clothing that I put into the school room. My husband just made them in 20 minutes or less out of melamine board from the local building store (Home Depot or something like that).

    I also use the containers that the baby wipes come in for small things like stapler and staples, scissors, tape. I write directly on them and keep them very nearby. That has saved me many times when I realize that I forgot to pull out scissors. Instead of jumping up to go find them in the middle of a lesson (while the kids find something else to get into!) all I have to do is turn around, grab them and carry on!

    I wish I had more organization tips, though. My schoolroom is my favorite room in the whole house and the very one that I can never keep well-organized!!

    ReplyDelete