Thursday, August 5, 2010

Math is My Nemesis

Suffering through A Beka Kindergarten, I searched and scowled through each new math curriculum I found upon visiting the Midwest Homeschool Convention.  I poured over the computer in search of something that would elicit not only success, but a joy in mathematical learning.  I tossed aside black and white textbook pages, I envied those purchasing the Math Mountain that I could not afford, and I broke down and purchased what I felt was best given the homeschool budget I was placed under, all while in high hopes my daughter would complete math easily (well easIER than before). 

Now, at the end of Chapter 4 of Bob Jones Math, I am once again struggling.  Did I start Lovely in school too early?  Am I going too quickly?  Does she understand but pretend she doesn't?  Is this too easy and therefore she doesn't pay attention?  Should I beg the next math instructor I come across to teach my daughter?  Am I too uptight?  Am I a perfectionist?  Is she just testing me?  Where do I go from here?

Honestly, she does seem to be doing better than with A Beka, but I still find myself losing my temper and patience.  She wants to spend her time doing her sister's work and telling her how to do it.  I'm going to build a privacy screen for her, but will that help her concentrate and focus?  Who knows!  I do think I might try worksheets with fewer pictures.  Although I find them boring, I might need boring in order to improve concentration...go figure!

So, how do you handle the child who wants to spend 2 hours doing math because she notices everything else in the room, every noise, she gets thirsty, she has to go potty, she wants to color in the pictures on the paper, she wants to do everything but the math at hand?  Any suggestions to save what's left of my sanity???

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, I feel your pain. I was that child about a half-century ago, and I never learned anything about math until I got into my thirties. It was a shame, because I was curious. But the psycho-nazi math teachers of the twentieth century were my nemeses.

    It turns out that math is not the nemesis - it's typical math education. The math ed industry could turn a carrousel into a Stephen King story.

    There is an answer, though. Magicians have that answer. Really. There are so many great magicians who also were mathematicians and logicians. Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland) was not the least among them

    Being a magician, I found some of their books. Luckily, many other mathematicians have as well, and they are pretty much responsible for inspiring an entire genre of very good books written by real humans who are not textbook ogres.

    You can find out more about why curriculums are really not all they're cracked up to be, and which books you can use instead, at Math Curriculums for Homeschooling

    Also, check out books by Theoni Pappas and Martin Gardner. Some of them are very advanced, but they have a lot for very young children, and they are absolutely wonderful.

    Good luck!

    Brian (a.k.a. Professor Homunculus at MathMojo.com )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you trying to do more than one lesson a day? Just a thought... perhaps this is just a trial in patience and perseverance! I did that some in 1st and it can really overload them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem with Zion. I searched high and low for something that would boost math interrest. I also tried to stear clear of the boring black and white math books. But in the end I settled on Saxon Math. Its all black and white. Looks very boring indeed. But low and behold that seems to be the answer. Today ends our first week of school and Zion loves it. Including Math. He is even loving the "timed tests" which he used to dispise. I hope you find the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a son who is that way with all of his schoolwork. He has to play with everything on the desk. The pencils become drumsticks. Oh is that UPS at the door, let's go see. Here comes the cat, can I chase her back into the bedroom. I need a drink. I have to go to the bathroom. Mommy I need a hug. But I NEED a hug now. Anything to keep from doing the work. A lesson that should take ten minutes ends up taking 2 hours. If you find the answer, please let me know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thanks for all of the comments! I don't feel so alone anymore. FairyLover, Lovely has a wonderful habbit of NEEDING to give me a kiss RIGHT NOW, and then she disappears into the bathroom for 15 minutes, then she needs to blow her nose, then she needs a drink, then she needs to narrate the story behind each picture on the page...the list goes on!

    No, Angela, I'm only doing one lesson per day--do you think I would dare attempt more? Not me. I don't even do what they suggest and begin a new lesson after taking a test. Honestly, if she's not better by the end of this year, I may try Saxon after all, despite the blandness of the page--maybe that's what it will take. Let me know if it continues to inspire Zion, Anna May!

    ReplyDelete