Thursday, February 18, 2010

What is Classical Education, Part I

On my quest for a homeschool curriculum that works with my family, my interest was instantly sparked by the phrase "classical education." However, I don't want to just pick a curriculum based on thoughts of me being classy or because it sounds good, considering I've always liked reading classic literature the best. Thus, I began my investigation into the topic by flipping through a catalog from Classical Conversations, browsing their website, and then checking out A Well Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise, a mother and daughter team. As soon as I saw the reading list, I was impressed. To be honest, I want to re-learn what I already know and learn what I don't know, just by glimpsing through the list. However, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Classical Education follows the trivium, which tailors the curriculum to the cognitive development of the child. Education is broken down into three sections, the first of which focuses on concrete thinking and memorization skills. The second focuses on analytical skills, and the third focuses on abstract thinking. Children are taught from real books that offer real education. They learn through historical texts that aren't watered down, as many public school texts are today. History is broken into three sections, and children will study each period three times. For example, my student will study 4000 B.c.--400 A.D. in 2nd grade, 5th grade, and 9th grade, but in greater detail each time, centering around their cognitive development. History is taught from 4000 B.C. through modern day without going back and forth from this period to that period.

So far, this model sounds like something I would be interested in teaching, and therefore, I hope to pass on my enthusiasm to my children. Did I mention you learn Latin as well? More to come on that...

2 comments:

  1. great blog Jennifer! You can view mine (not as nice as yours) at http://ohsoveryme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I became a follower of yours as well :) I think your blog is very nice and filled with your peaceful thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete