Saturday, February 13, 2010

Indiana & Cincinnati Homeschool Conventions

For those homeschool convention-hoppers out there, which convention do you feel is better? The one located in Indianapolis, or the one in Cincinnati? I've never been to a homeschool convention (Yes, I can tell the room has gone silent now--not even my keyboard is making the normal clicking sound), but this year I'm giving it a whirl. My inspiration: a very, no an extremely stressful kindergarten year! A Beka seems to have a huge following, and although I don't plan on teaching this to my children, I followed the crowd. Now, I'm regretting my decision. Reading is MUCH better now, but even I dread math every day. So, instead of struggling yet another year, I'm looking into different curricula available for first grade. Subsequent posts may include my reflections on each type of curriculum I find, so I apologize for boring those of your who have found a favorite and are sticking with it.

I've decided against going to the Indy convention, despite my residence in Indiana, and instead I'm opting to attend the Midwest Homeschool Convention in Cincinnati. I've based my decision on the following:
  • Cost. Then Indy convention is a minimum of $68.00 per married couple, not including children if you bring your kids. They are an additional $13.00-33.00, depending on their ages. Grandparents are an additional $10.00. In comparison, the Cinci convention is $50.00 per family (INCLUDING grandparents), although the price does go up to $70.00 if you buy your tickets at the door.
  • Distance. The conventions are about equal distance from my home, so this didn't really help make the decision, but it didn't hinder it, either.
  • Accommodations. I have been able to find a nice hotel for approx. $80.00/night (yes, you must drive 15 minutes to the convention, but I'm OK with that). When checking Indy hotels, everything was a minimum of $100.00/night.
  • Attractions. If we do bring our children, we have the options of the Cinci Zoo, Cinci Art Museum, Newport Aquarium, The Creation Museum, and so much more. Indy offers a zoo and The Children's Museum, but I've been to both of those. All this depends on time restrictions, of course.
  • Speakers. I've looked through both lists of speakers, and the ones at the Cinci convention really appeal to me. Not to mention, they have a HUGE list of exhibitors as well.
  • Extra Entertainment. Attendees have the option of going to the Tim Hawkins show for only $6.00/person. Two of the three shows are sold out, but I've reserved my tickets! If you haven't seen his videos, do a search for them on You Tube, or click Tim Hawkins. He's very clean and hilarious, a combination so rare today!

If you go to the Indy convention, let me know how it went and share what you've learned!

2 comments:

  1. Guess what?! I'm going to the Cincinnati Convention...just registered today. If I find someone to stay in my room then I'll go Friday and stay overnight, but otherwise I'll just be there on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm staying at a different hotel than the ones listed on the website, but it's cheaper and it's still only 15 mins. away :) Which sessions are you going to?

    ReplyDelete