Friday, July 23, 2010

Phonics Oddity

I will be the first to admit phonics was difficult for Lovely last year.  She hated...no, she abohorred having to read the little books every day to practice.  We used A Beka readers, BOB books, and anything I could find at the library.  She simply hated it.

Episode 1:  Oddly, we were reading books the other day and I found a reader that Snugglebug had picked at the library so I said, "Oh, this is a Lovely book," and handed it to her.  She began reading immediately!  She and I took turns reading every other page, and we read the entire book!  She was so proud that she told the librarian when we returned the book. 

Episode 2:  During the phonics test she took yesterday, Lovely had to read a line of words, which she did, and then asked to read the top line, too, which she did.  Then she asked to read the bottom line, which she did.  Then, she gave me a huge hug and kiss, and thanked me for letting her read all of those words....ok, WHAT is going on?

After reflection, I realized I hadn't been making Lovely read...at all, really.  I have her read the sentences on the worksheets, but that's it.  I've simply been reading a ton to her and Snugglebug, and perhaps she's finally picking up the reading bug on her own.  Yes!!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This is something I need to do desperately with Matthew. Some days I think "he didn't really learn to read anything" and then he surprises me by easily reading "employees only" on the store door with no help. So I'm slowly discovering it's when they "want" to read that really makes the difference! Good job and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete