Friday, July 9, 2010

Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease at 31

Who says mostly children get Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease?  I made it 31 years without getting this disease, or at least not knowing I had it if I ever had it!  However, I felt extremely cold and tired on Wed. (thusly, I stayed home from church), Thursday I had no energy and I found what I thought were a couple blisters on my hand, and today, the tiny blisters had spread to my wrists and I began feeling them on my feet.  Infact, it hurts as I type because of the blisters that are on my fingertips.  I would like to thank my lovely darlings for this experience--who knew they could have it without exhibiting the rash that accomanies most occurencies of it? 

Both my girls had fevers last weekend, but I administered Motrin, watched them overnight, and by morning, the fever was gone.  Now, I remember Lovely telling me the roof of her mouth hurt..hmmm...and now Hubby reminded me they both complained of their feet hurting, and yet, I never saw any actual bumps and they never told me about them. 

So, what's the treatment?  Wait it out.  Grrrr.  I was prescribed some painkillers, but I hate taking anything, so unless the pain gets a lot worse, I can probably just deal with this.  However, I remain contagious for a while, so those who normally see me...won't for a while.  According to the Mayoclinic site, I should "stay home from work."  Greeeaaat.  Well, I have wanted to get more accomplished at home....Now, if only I could stand touching things...

How is it spread, you ask?  Sneezing, saliva, nose discharge, etc.  Let me just say, I won't be sharing my drink with Snugglebug as much in the future!  Now, where they got it, who knows.  Probably from someone, who, like me, didn't realize there was more to the fever.  If I was around anyone, I really do appologize, and trust me, I am getting paid back. 

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM00929 Click on this link to see pics of what my hands look like (well, not my hands, but a child's hands...)

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. oh man!! That has to stink. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The doc doesn't think I have it as badly as he or others get it, but it's still weird to have your feet hurt just from touching something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I presume it is a little unusual for an adult to catch it, but certainly not impossible! Hope you feel better quickly and as much as I would like to play tennis.....well....I think you know what I mean! lol

    ReplyDelete