Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Homeschool vs. Private School

I can't believe I'm writing on this blog again.  But, I need to gather my thoughts and hopefully get a hold of my mixed feelings.  Is there a such thing as an un-mixer?  Anyway, I had planned to homeschool the girls next year.  We had switched to private school this year, using our state's voucher system, which still left a couple hundred dollars to be paid every month in addition to the gas to drive to the school, etc. (it's almost 30 mins away). 

As soon as we switched schools, the atmosphere--the spirit in the school--could be felt.  Such a remarkable difference!  No yelling (by teachers or administration)!  No profanity (again, by teachers or administration)!   No rush, rush, rush to barely cover the material and then tell you your child needs intercession because she isn't doing well.  No 2-3 movies PER DAY.  No obscene music playing because the children chose it.  It was just different.  The administrators showed their kindness and helpfulness, and the teachers cared and worked with my children.  Yes, there were some things I didn't care for, including some of the very strict and advanced curriculum (math and spelling), but overall, my girls were finally learning and bringing that learning home.

But, it was costing $3200 in gas per year, in addition to the monthly bill.  Too much.  So, an opportunity arose for me to help teach at a cottage school and I decided to send the girls there.  However, one week, it became real to me that I was still teaching three college classes per week, helping to run my husband's business, and I have a one yr old and a 2 yr old.  Yikes.  That's when I was offered a huge discount in tuition at the private school.  And today, I was told that it really wouldn't work out for me to teach one day per week.  So, we have opted to send them to the private school once again and reevaluate in December.  However, if I'm not teaching at the cottage school, I wouldn't be able to afford that, either.  So....I'm really not sure what we may do. 

I've been doing prep work for the year in case we end up homeschooling.  Spelling was really difficult for my girls, so I've been using All About Spelling.  We've almost finished Level 1 (really basic stuff), but I wanted to get a strong foundation about rules for them.  I'm also working on math with them, and language.  I bought Latin, but I just don't know how that can be fit in.  We'll see.  I just don't know how to get all of these subjects finished and then get anything else finished at home.  Praying.
As Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment